As a cooperative, we exist to meet the needs of our community with two full-service grocery stores and a café. We strive to offer products requested by co-op owners and other community members. We prioritize:
- Products that meet unique needs in our community (such as WIC-allowed foods, international cuisines, gluten free, halal, vegan, etc.);
- Organic products;
- Fair trade products;
- Whole/minimally processed products; and
- Humane treatment of animals.
Additional criteria we use when making product decisions include:
- Ownership: local; small-scale; cooperative; woman owned, persons of color and indigenous (POCI) owned, GLBTQ owned, ownership by veterans and/or historically underrepresented populations.
- Minimal negative impacts on the physical environment through sourcing, manufacturing, packaging, shipping, use and disposal.
Seward Co-op uses product and vendor standards to make purchasing decisions. As a cooperative, we believe in the power of economic democracy. rather than discontinuing a product line during a boycott, we encourage shoppers to vote with their dollars.
At Seward Co-op we are always looking for products that will delight our customers and align with our values as a trusted retailer of local, organic, and natural products. We welcome the opportunity to learn about your products, and discuss a potential partnership.
For the first conversation, we would like to know:
- What the product is
- What the attributes are
- The cost per unit
- The size
Feel free to drop off a product sample and information at one of our customer service desks OR contact (email strongly preferred) one of the following department buyers to schedule a meeting:
- Products for Grocery (frozen, bulk, packaged, bread, milk/yogurt)
Grocery Buyer (612-230-5555)
- Products for Fresh Departments (cheese, meat, produce)
Fresh Departments Buyer (612-230-5549)
- Products for Deli Prepared Foods (grab-and-go, salad bar or hot bar, deli counter)
Fresh Foods Merchandising Coordinator (612-230-5555)
- Products for Wellness (personal care, supplements, home, gifts)
Wellness Buyer (612-230-5572)
Resources Outside of Seward Co-op
If you are interested in selling your product through a wholesale distributor, you may want to reach out to Cooperative Partners Warehouse.
If you need to continue to refine your product, you may want to reach out to:
- Kindred Kitchen, a social enterprise providing kitchen space and business technical services for food entrepreneurs who desire to start up or grow their food business.
- City Food Studio, a kitchen with a variety of commercial equipment, including specialty food processing gear; ready to serve entrepreneurs whether caterer, food truck operator, manufacturer.