As we reflect on fiscal year 2019, Seward Co-op has a lot to celebrate as an organization and community of owners. Below are some highlights from our 2019 Scorecard. More details on how Seward Co-op has met our Ends Statement can be found in the 2019 Scorecard.
Equitable, Economic Relationships
Since the collective bargaining agreement was ratified in August 2018 a total of 320 of our staff are represented by United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW) 663 and those who are not are compensated using the City of Minneapolis living wage model.
In the past year, we launched Community Foods to share with shoppers the attributes most important to our co-op.
We contribute to a more equitable economy by offering quality products through intentional sourcing:
• $18.5 million in Community Foods sales, or 42% of sales
• A total of $2.6 million fair trade products sold
Nourish items are Seward Co-op’s most affordable foods and wellness products
We offer products that are accessible and affordable :
• $2.3 million in Nourish products sold
• $398,395 in needs-based discounts
• $923,244 in SNAP and WIC transactions
Positive Environmental Impacts
We source products that minimize negative environmental impacts:
• $17.6 million in organic product sales, or 40% of sales.
• $17.9 million in local product sales, or 41% of sales.
We minimize packaging in the products we stock and feature:
• $3.2 million Bulk products sold
• $49,591 given back to shoppers using reusable bags
Inclusive, Socially Responsible Practices
We hire staff who reflect the neighborhoods in which we operate:
• 62% of staff reside within 1.5 miles of our locations
• 36% of staff identify as Black, Indigenous, People of Color
• 8% of staff are multilingual
We prioritize and promote giving back to the community:
• $276,352 raised in SEED donations
• $49,329 given in the form of grants, donations, and sponsorships
• 408 paid employee community service hours
We invite everyone to become a co-op owner through multiple payment options and a needs-based discount:
• 21,246 total owners
• 1,333 new owners