We continue to see an uptick in theft in the 3rd Precinct. A number of these recent thefts have been reported in local grocery store parking lots. Most recently, there was a car-jacking in the Franklin store parking lot. The perpetrators used some kind of mace to force the community member out of their vehicle. It happened very quickly. Securitas, our security firm, was present but they were not able to prevent the incident from happening. There was also a second car theft that is believed to be connected that occurred in different part of South Minneapolis 20 minutes later. We are in contact with our local Crime Prevention Specialist and we are working with other local businesses to find a community-led solution to reduce crime along Franklin Avenue.
To enhance safety please be mindful of your surroundings and be aware of your belongings. Here are some prevention tips from the City of Minneapolis 3rd Precinct:
Carjacking Prevention Tips:
- Lock your doors while driving.
- Don’t stop for strangers who are trying to approach you or stop your car.
- Park in well-lit areas.
- Always be hyper-aware of your surroundings.
- Use a tracking device.
- Never leave anything of value in your car.
- Never leave your car running unattended. Many victims were dropping off food or other deliveries.
- Memorize your license plate number. It helps towards a faster recovery.
Again, we are doing everything we can to support the individual who experienced the car-jacking. We are so relieved no one was hurt and a police report has been filed. At this time, no incidents have been reported at the Friendship store. We recognize that this is unsettling news as it happened on co-op property. Some of us may feel fearful or anxious, and this is understandable.