As a cooperative, we exist to meet the needs of our community with two full-service grocery stores and a café. We strive to offer products requested by co-op owners and other community members. We prioritize:
- Products that meet unique needs in our community (such as WIC-allowed foods, international cuisines, gluten free, halal, vegan, etc.);
- Organic products;
- Fair-trade products;
- Whole/minimally processed products; and
- Humane treatment of animals.
Additional criteria we use when making product decisions include:
- Ownership: local; small-scale; cooperative; woman owned, persons of color and indigenous (POCI) owned, GLBTQ owned, ownership by veterans and/or historically underrepresented populations.
- Minimal negative impacts on the physical environment through sourcing, manufacturing, packaging, shipping, use and disposal.
Seward Co-op uses product and vendor standards to make purchasing decisions. As a cooperative, we believe in the power of economic democracy. Rather than discontinuing a product line during a boycott, we encourage shoppers to vote with their dollars.