Seward Co-op launched the Seward Community Fund (SCF) in 2005 as an endowment fund to which individuals may donate money that will, in turn, earn interest. The fund is sponsored by Seward Co-op and administered by Twin Pines Cooperative Foundation (TPCF). TPCF invests the assets primarily in cooperative development funds, credit unions and local community-owned banks that support cooperatives. As the fund grows, the interest earned is given to nonprofits and/or cooperatives in our community.
The establishment of the SCF embodies our co-op's commitment to continue to grow not just as a business, but also as a resource that takes the concerns of our community to heart and to action.
Grants funded by SCF are awarded annually. Applications are reviewed by a grant committee comprised of co-op staff, and recipients are announced at the annual co-op owners meeting in October. The deadline for applications each year is June 30. All recipients must be registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations. Grants are given to organizations that fit our mission and are engaged in one or more of the following activities:
- Environmental projects focusing on protection and/or beautification
- Sustainable agriculture programs
- Cooperative related activities
- Community development and capacity building
In addition, priority will be given to organizations that:
- Are based in the communities served by Seward Co-op.
- Use the funding for specific projects or events rather than promotions or operations.
- Represent secular and nonpolitical organizations.
- Are able to use the Seward Co-op grant to leverage funding from other granting organizations.
If you have interest in a grant, please print and complete the application below. Then drop it off at the co-op's Customer Service desk or mail it, attn: Seward Community Fund. Be sure to include all attachments listed on the application form. Updated applications and deadlines will be available May 1.